Thursday, August 21, 2014

Raised Beds - Trendy Nonsense in the Vegetable Garden?



“Why” asked the rather acerbic Dutchman I was talking to, “are so many British vegetable gardeners disabled?”. A bizarre thing to say, but I knew immediately what he was talking about – the popularity of raised beds amongst British gardeners. My first comment was “when did you last have a bad back Jan?”. Read on.....

This is a guest blog post on MyGardenSchool, who do an excellent range of courses. I do one every month, so if you want to learn more about perennials and how they grow - sign up!


1 comment:

www.ravenscourtgardens. com said...

In Houston I use raised beds in my designs because our clay (gumbo) soil isn't good for growing most herbs and veg. We use cinder blocks because wood rots to easily here. Also we can put them next to an entertaining area and use them as extra seating as well as seating when you are weeding. : )